Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Constructive Criticism for the Lillys

When I look at Tottenham, it really reminds me of a poor man's Arsenal, and by poor, I mean homeless. I'm sorry if basically mocking you in reference to your rivals is hard to bear, but I don't know if you caught any bit of the Hull City game. Tottenham had LOADS of chances that were just shanked (just as many, if not more, by bent than by your new Russian import might I add) and I really think Ramos needs, at the very least, a new lineup and formation to mix it up. You have a very different club this year with your two marquee players fleeing the roost over the summer, as well as the bringing in of Pavy (his new name seeing as I hate spelling his really one) Modric Bentley and Dos Santos. You have a much more finesse based club than you're used to, to a Wengerian like degree. If I were Ramos, and I'm clearly no Premiership manager, I would utilize a more free-flowing and attacking lineup, something along the lines of:
Pavy
Bent/Campbell Modric
Bale Zokora Jenas Lennon
Woodgate Gunter Corluka
Gomes

It's frightening for scouts everywhere that your team has trouble scoring goals considering the names. Pavy, Bent, Campbell, Modric and Lennon are all highly regarded, and Dos Santos, Bentley and Bale (who had some great free-kick attempts against Hull City I may add) aren't too far down people's lists either. I honestly can't say you can look at an Everton, Blackburn or Portsmouth and say that they're club is that much more TALENTED. If Tottenham were to go down, Ramos would deserve every bit of the axe that falls on him (or would have fallen if it got that bad.) If this team were cohesive, they could easily be scoring goals left and right, but correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they're now 275 minutes (and counting) without a goal in Premiership action. That is TERRIFYING. Just for kicks, lets look at this: Tottenham Hotspur has scored 4 goals this season. I'm not going to list all players who have scored 4 or more goals this season.
Jermaine Defoe, Fernando Torres, Amr Zaki, Kevin Cyril Davies, Nicolas Anelka, John Carew, Gabriel Agbonlahor

Yes, Jermaine Defoe has one more goal than all of his own club. I really don't mean to keep going Debbie Downer on Tottenham all the time, but it's a really fascinating club, and clearly you guys would be interested. I don't understand how that much firepower has resulted in the weakest offense in England, for God's sake Stoke City has TWICE as many goals as you! (And they're 19th) To be fair, I believe the relegation talk is premature, when one talks about relegation you invariably think "Are there three teams worse in the Premiership than us?" The answer to that question in regards to Tottenham is clearly a resounding yes. This club has the talent, but does it have the ability to translate that into success? If not, just ask Upton Park how 2002 went.

EDIT: So, I was just checking out my post...and I swear I have an actual formation for the players when I type it up, but whenever I publish it, it turns to shit. Basically, what I have there oriented in a 3-4-2-1 set up.

No comments: