Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Does Tottenham Hotspur need to be worried about relegation?

In a word, yes.

In a few words, hopefully not, but it's a possibility.

In many words, Tottenham should be a great club. We should have gotten replacements for Keane and Berbatov on time, we probably should have gotten Campbell permanently rather than on loan, we should be beating teams like Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Wigan and Hull, and we should be challenging for at least a Europa League spot. We shouldn't have such a leaderless team, we shouldn't be lacking goals like this, we shouldn't have ditched Jermaine Defoe and we shouldn't have kept Jermaine Jenas.

It is breaking my heart, man. Seriously. We suck. Why do we suck? Mostly because of all of those should's and shouldn'ts. The start this year, though similarly drastic, has a much different feel to it than last year's; last year we came out of the gates at a crawl, eventually learning how to walk and working our way up to a run (e.g. the Carling Cup). This term, we have yet to show any real sign of even being aware that two-legged travel exists! Last season I knew that we were too good for relegation, and we proved it by finishing comfortably safe... this season I legitimately question whether or not we are a strong enough side to stay in the Premiership. We certainly have the talent to be a top 7 or 8 team, but we absolutely do not have the cohesion.

I will stand firm in my allegiance, even through relegation, if it comes to that. I will remain faithful to the Lillywhite Army. I have tried not to think about soccer too much (thank goodness for the Steelers and Penn State football...), mostly to ease the pain. But after every Spurs game, there it is, staring me in the face: a big scoreline that says "You suck." It's not been a fun experience, and I can only shudder at what I will be feeling next May should things continue on their current course.

No comments: