Sunday, October 12, 2008

UUUUUUSAAAAAAHHH!!!!1 (Pronounced OO-sah)

USA has officially progressed to the final stage of qualification for World Cup 2010, a six-team group of which the top 3 (and possibly the 4th) will progress to the finals in South Africa.

I must say that my allegiance in the world of football lies with my country first, club second. So you can imagine that the USA's progression is a bit of a high for me (especially given Tottenham's current form). Most important for me was the way we won these games; two grind-it-out road wins in hostile environments (Central America and Cuba), followed by two home thrashings. Granted, these are not the best teams in the world, but I am glad to see us taking care of business with these minnow nations (unlike, say, Mexico, who just lost 1-0 to Jamaica in Kingston... I'm sick about it).

I really don't have much else to say; we are well on our way to qualifying for 2010, which is exactly where we should be. Given our road to qualification (be one of the three best nations in CONCACAF), it would be a complete debacle if we ever were to miss out on a World Cup again.

It has been requested that we do a sort of "Team USA" profile for this blog; I think I will do so, once I find the time. But for now:

Goodnight, you princes of Sealab.

1 comment:

Giblinho said...

It is nice that we are able to coast so easily into the Hex (as it's actually called) and while I would like to laugh at the follies of our neighbors to the South, obviously the Mexicans deserve to advance just as much as anyone out of CONCACAF (which is not saying much) and almost assuredly will. Did you catch Iwamura's terrible miss for Scotland? It was so depressing, it was his first cap and he was 30, and he just bunks a complete open goal. I wouldn't be able to sleep...ever.