Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Marquez Joins Red Bull-olution



Rafa Marquez has joined the New York Red Bulls, definitively proving that the MLS is apparently good enough for all squad/bench players of Barcelona. Vaya Bojan! Apparently, Henry and Marquez drew the short straw compared to Yaya Toure's mega-money signing with City, but regardless, it is quite a coup for a team that just last year was a total and utter joke, but in the dynamic world of MLS, NYRB are now in 2nd in the East, and just happened to add some world-class talent to their side. I know I wrote a rather negative account of Henry's move, but I am big enough to admit I might be overly-negative. Instead of slowly losing their grip on dominance, and fading dimmer and dimmer into the limelight, a shell of their former selves, maybe stars will now play for a big, final payday in the States while they are still at 80% of their powers. This is not complaining; this is progress! I remember hearing in an interview Drogba entertaining the idea, and while I wouldn't believe it then, why not now? One thing that cannot be escaped is that for very rich people, the good ole US of A is not too shabby. Perhaps due in part to the relative anonymity they can receive here, but I feel like in a large percentage of stories I read about player vacations, they vacation here. Cristiano Ronaldo with the LA Galaxy? After Portugal's ignominous exit from the 2018 World Cup, COUNT ON IT. That's right. Take that to the bank.

Could this be a random blip, soon to be forgotten? Perhaps. But I honestly believe the tide is turning. I lived in Barcelona for 6 months, which was enough time for all of Barcelona to convince me that Henry was, in fact, a washed-up has-been. This is probably wrong. Even so, has-been Henry is still a lot better in-his-prime Buddle. And Marquez is better than Goodson, even in a decade. So, we're becoming a way for players to leave on top in Europe, and continue playing the game they love, in front of thousands of fans while being paid comparable salaries to back home (they are DP's after all, not squad-MLSers). The competition is good, and they might even have to break a sweat to win some trophies. But most importantly, everyone in Europe is starting to know some MLS. Every football fan in Europe now knows TWO MLS teams. As I said, this is not complaining. This is progress.

No comments: