Sunday, September 28, 2008

ARSENAL! : The tale of an American Gooner (ed. 1)

Loyal Readers,

It is my pleasure to welcome you to Chads United. It is an honor for me to be apart of this panel of American footballers, and a privilege to share with you my football story. lets start at the beginning.

My love of football began only a couple of years ago, starting with the 2006 FIFA world cup, and culminating in my official declaration of allegance to Arsenal FC during the spring of 2007. in that time i have begun to understand the beauty of the game and the passion of its fans. also in that time, I have begun to understand how far, yet how close, America is from playing true football. And I've grown from delusions of granduer to a true understanding of the depth of talent and physical ability that dominates the world's game. Moreso than any other american sport, football takes unparalled skill and athletic ability. it is this skill mainly that has made me truly appreciate football at its highest level. and it is skill, along with other components, that truly separates american "soccer" from true football.

I am an American Gooner. For those of you who do not understand what a gooner is, it is, in essence, a loyal fan and patriot of Arsenal Football Club, located in the Highbury district of northern london (Ashburton Grove to be precise). Arsenal plays in the Barclays Premiership, the top flight of english football, and is a perennial member of the big four (the top four clubs of the premiership, including arsenal, chelsea, liverpool, man utd.). My love affair with arsenal began with its greatest player, Thierry Henry. Literally a player who has captured my imagination, Henry will always be my favorite footballer. His pace, which at its hieght was unparalled, his imagination, and his skill have awed me since I first saw him play. see for yourself. Go ahead and spend hours watching his highlights. God know I have.

Sadly I have to cut this post short. Alot has been going on with Arsenal that i can't wait to talk about! well... I guess I can. until later

Dr. Volley

No comments: