Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I have no problem with what Adebayor did (and why we need more of it)

Look, I'm not talking about the stamp on RVP. I'm not sure if it was intentional, but either way, that sucks and I don't endorse that. What do I endorse? This:


Nothing like that to get the juices flowing right? Look, I realize Arsenal fans were pissed off, and rightly so. But this is what sport is all about. It's about rivalries, tension and (moderate) hatred. I enjoy cheering against certain players as I enjoy cheering for my own. And when you add in the whole scorned-former-player angle? Fantastic! Just like taking your shirt off, this is something that should not warrant a card because it's something that should be an acknowledged aspect of the game. If you want to shower abuse on a former player, and he then scores the goal that downs your hopes? Be prepared for him to showboat. I'd want to, you'd want to, it's human. Nothing is sweeter that revenge, especially in football. As long as you aren't going West Ham-Millwall about it, what's the big deal? Do you watch soccer to watch players disinterestedly pass the ball around and then give a small smile and a wave when they score? The only point of sports is to watch physical art, and with it, the passion it incites. Without passion or feeling, there is no point to sport. So, let's give our players the same freedom. If they want to flip off the home crowd after they dagger them in the 90th, go for it. If they want to goad the defender they just destroyed to get towards the goal, sounds great. And if they want to run the length of the pitch to let their hate-filled former fans know how they really feel, well then soccer is all the better for it.

1 comment:

Poeltl said...

Eamonn, I totally agree! Apparently so does Man City manager Mark Hughes, who supported a drastically similar view as yours:

"I think it is important not to take emotion out of the game. It is part and parcel of what football is about and that's why it is such a huge sport worldwide."

Well played - Giblinho, Hughes, and most notably, Ade. Solid work boys.